Owner Builder QLD
Hello Owner Builder in sunny Queensland 🙂
Welcome to The Owner Builder Club – here to simplify the process for you.
But where to begin?
Is owner building even for you?
If you're at the very early stage in the process, now's the time to think through if owner building is for you.
- can you afford it?
- do you need finance?
- how does finance work for owner building?
- do you have the time?
- how about the skills?
If you need help answering these questions, CLICK HERE to find out more about our short online course that by the end, will have you going confidently in the right direction for YOU.
Do you need an owner builder permit?
In QLD, if the value of the work is over $11,000 then yes, you need an owner builder permit and that means doing an owner builder course.
How to get an owner builder permit?
- engage a draftsperson/designer/architect to get plans to final
- lodge a Development Application
- engage a Building Surveyor/Certifier
- do the required owner builder course (mandatory in QLD) and get a White Card – refer to the below
- get your owner builder permit
- get your building permit
- give the start work notification
- start nailing your build!
Where to do your owner builder course?
Great news for you here! The research has been done for you. We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and are super confident to recommend Absolute Education.
Itching to get the course done and dusted?
Simply click on ‘Get Started' below, complete a few basic details and either the lovely Gemma or Peter will complete the pieces of the puzzle for you.
NOTE: The course cost is $185.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).
Let Gemma and Peter know we've sent you by adding the code, OBC at Step 4 in the registration process.
MORE ABOUT THE WHITE CARD:
Due to changes in legislation made on the 19th July 2019 by WorkSafe Western Australia in conjunction with Safework NSW means QLD Owner Builders can only complete the course online if they live 100km from a classroom provider.
If you don't live 100km from a classroom provider, you MUST complete your White Card course in a classroom. Absolute Education lists providers during their registration process.
Make sure whoever you go with is NOT offering the White Card course online. Seriously, it's illegal.
A LITTLE EXTRA…
If you're in the early stages of research, we highly recommend you first speak with your local Council planning department (see link below).
When you've decided to go ahead + the OB course is complete (and White Card) + the design plans are done + you have costings, here's what you do:
- Apply for an Owner Builder permit through the Qld Building and Construction Commission (refer state link below)
- This permit process requires you to know your material and labour costs
- Once the receipt for the permit is issued, you're ready to get the required building approvals (Development Application) BEFORE work can commence.
- You can do this via your local Council or a private Certifier.
- The building development approval will indicate what inspections MUST occur at different stages of the build.
Follow this link for state government info – click here.
Find your local Council – click here.