Owner Builder QLD
Hello Owner Builder in sunny Queensland!
Yes, you need to do an OB course and White Card course to get your OB Permit 🙂
The good news? We've done the research for you!
We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers and after a stringent selection process, we were super happy to partner with Absolute Education. If you want to know why, head to our main Course page and you'll find loads of reasons!
READY TO GET GOING?
- Simply click on ‘Register Now' (registration is free) in the box below to go straight to Absolute's registration page.
- Confirmation of your registration with your user name and password will be sent to you by text and email once registration is complete.
- OB Course cost is $185.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).
TO NUDGE YOU ALONG…
We run a quarterly draw where one lucky person wins a $100 Bunnings voucher.
All you need to do is use the code ‘OBC' in the offer code section at Step 4 in the registration process 🙂
MORE ABOUT THE WHITE CARD:
Due to changes in legislation made on the 19th July 2019 by WorkSafe Western Australia in conjunction with Safework NSW means QLD Owner Builders can only complete the course online if they live 100km from a classroom provider.
If you don't live 100km from a classroom provider, you MUST complete your White Card course in a classroom. Absolute Education lists providers during their registration process.
Make sure whoever you go with is NOT offering the White Card course online. Seriously, it's illegal.
Absolute Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 91521) who makes doing an Owner Builder Course simple. All you need to do is click ‘Register Now' (it's free) create a username and password, login and start answering the questions! Best parts, you don't pay until you pass (you'll pass) and your certificate will be emailed to you upon completion (and once you've paid)!
A LITTLE EXTRA…
If you're in the early stages of research, we highly recommend you first speak with your local Council planning department (see link below).
When you've decided to go ahead + the OB course is complete (and White Card) + the design plans are done + you have costings, here's what you do:
- Apply for an Owner Builder permit through the Qld Building and Construction Commission (refer state link below)
- This permit process requires you to know your material and labour costs
- Once the receipt for the permit is issued, you're ready to get the required building approvals (Development Application) BEFORE work can commence.
- You can do this via your local Council or a private Certifier.
- The building development approval will indicate what inspections MUST occur at different stages of the build.
Follow this link for state government info – click here.
Find your local Council – click here.