Owner Builder ACT
Hello Owner Builder in the ACT 🙂
Welcome to The Owner Builder Club – here to simplify the process for you.
But where to begin?
Is owner building even for you?
If you're at the very early stage of the process, now's the time to really think through whether or not owner building is for you:
- can you afford it?
- do you need finance?
- how does finance work for owner building?
- do you have the time?
- how about the skills?
If you need help answering these questions, CLICK HERE to find out more about our short online course that by the end, will have you going confidently in the right direction for YOU.
Do you need an owner builder licence?
In the ACT, owner builders must be licensed, that means you need to complete an owner builder course in order to be granted a license.
How to start an owner builder project?
- engage a draftsperson/designer/architect to get plans to final
- lodge a Development Application
- engage a Building Surveyor/Certifier
- do the required owner builder course (mandatory in the ACT) – refer to the below and get your Construction Induction card
- get your owner builder licence (online via the state government)
- get your building permit
- give the start work notification
- start nailing your build!
Where to do your owner builder course?
Great news for you here! The research has been done for you. We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and are super confident to recommend Absolute Education.
Itching to get the course done and dusted?
Simply click on ‘Get Started' below, complete a few basic details and either the lovely Gemma or Peter will complete the pieces of the puzzle for you.
COST: The OB course cost is $99.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).
Let them know we sent you by entering the code, OBC, at Step 4 in the registration process 🙂
A LITTLE EXTRA…
If you're right at the start of the process, an excellent starting point is always with your local Council (see link below) because you need to know local Council approvals e.g. Development Application, Planning Approval.
- When the licence is issued, you'll need to apply for a ‘Commencement Notice' with a building certifier before you can start building.
- The work can only start once the certifier has issued the Commencement Notice.
For more state government info – click here.
Find your local Council – click here.