Owner Builder ACT
Hello Owner Builder in the ACT!
Yes, you need to do an OB course to get your OB Permit 🙂
The good news? We've done the research for you!
We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and after a stringent selection process, we were super happy to partner with Absolute Education. Head to our main Course page to find loads of reasons why!
READY TO GET GOING?
- If yes, you can simply click on ‘Register Now' in the box below (it's free) to go straight to Absolute's registration page.
- Confirmation of your registration with your user name and password will be sent to you by text and email once registration is complete.
- OB Course cost is $99.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).
TO NUDGE YOU ALONG
We run a quarterly draw where one lucky person wins a $250 Bunnings voucher.
All you need to do is use the code ‘OBC' under Offer Code section at Step 4 in the registration process.
ABOUT THE WHITE CARD:
Although you don't need a White Card in the ACT to get your OB permit, you do need it to comply with Workcover regulation.
Due to changes in legislation made on the 19th July 2019 by WorkSafe WA in conjunction with Safework NSW means that you're no longer eligible to complete your White Card course online (only possible in WA).
Absolute Education is working through this issue in the ACT by partnering with providers who run face-to-face courses but they're not quite ready to go.
So if you do go with another provider, please make sure whoever you go with is NOT offering the course online. Seriously, it's illegal.
Absolute Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 91521) who makes doing an Owner Builder Course simple. All you need to do is click ‘Register Now' (it's free) create a username and password, login and start answering the questions! Best parts, you don't pay until you pass (you'll pass) and your certificate will be emailed to you upon completion (and once you've paid)!
A LITTLE EXTRA…
If you're right at the start of the process, an excellent starting point is always with your local Council (see link below) because you need to know local Council approvals e.g. Development Application, Planning Approval.
Here's a summary of the process you'll follow once you've spoken to Council and design plans are underway:
- Once you complete the OB course (and White Card), you need to apply for a Builders Licence to undertake building work. This application can be done online via the link provided below.
- When the licence is issued, you'll need to apply for a ‘Commencement Notice' with a building certifier before you can start building.
- The work can only start once the certifier has issued the Commencement Notice.
For more state government info – click here.
Find your local Council – click here.