Owner Builder in ACT - Owner Builder course in ACT
Home » Owner Builder ACT

Owner Builder ACT

Hello Owner Builder in the ACT!

We get it.

Choosing an owner builder course AND a white card course is another big thing you've got to tick off your long list of things ‘to-do'.

Here's the good news. We've done the research for you.

We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and we're super excited to be partnered with Absolute Education.

Here's what we like about Absolute Education:

  • they're known for their expertise in delivering solutions to the Australian Owner Builder and Construction industry for over 14 years (that's a big tick)
  • they're super professional (another tick)
  • they offer a White Card course (one-stop shop) and although you don't need it to get your OB permit, you do need it to comply with Workcover regulation (that's a serious point)
  • the OB course is super easy to access online and by correspondence (tick, tick)
  • you can take as long as you need to complete the course (because life's busy)
  • your certificate is emailed within 24 hours (love instant gratification)
  • you get unlimited phone access (because sometimes we need to speak to a real person)
  • they give away lots of FREE stuff (who doesn't love a gift with purchase)
  • you get to sit a FREE practice exam (thank you)
  • run by people who know the building game (that's called credibility)
  • they're fully compliant with the regulatory board as an approved training organisation (again, credible)
  • AND, the price is right! (phew)

But before move to What Next, you need to know that changes in legislation made on the 19th July 2019  by WorkSafe Western Australia in conjunction with Safework NSW means that you're no longer eligible to complete your White Card course online (only possible in WA). So make sure whoever you go with is NOT offering the course online. Seriously, it's illegal.


Here's what you need to know and do:

  • We've said it already but we'll say it again. You don't need a White Card in the ACT to get your OB permit. HOWEVER. You definitely need it to comply with Workcover regulation!
  • But don't worry, you can select the White Card course when you register for your OB course.
  • To get started, click on ‘Register Now' (registration is free) in the box below to go straight to their registration page (it's a simple step-by-step process)
  • Confirmation of your registration with your user name and password will be sent to you by text and email once registration is complete
  • OB Course cost is $99.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!)

So what are you waiting for?

Register Now

Absolute Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 91521) who makes doing an Owner Builder Course simple. All you need to do is click ‘Register Now' (it's free) create a username and password, login and start answering the questions! Best parts, you don't pay until you pass (you'll pass) and your certificate will be emailed to you upon completion (and once you've paid)!


If you're right at the start of the process, an excellent starting point is always with your local Council (see link below) because you need to know local Council approvals e.g. Development Application, Planning Approval.

Here's a summary of the process you'll follow once you've spoken to Council and design plans are underway:

  • Once you complete the OB course (and White Card), you need to apply for a Builders Licence to undertake building work. This application can be done online via the link provided below.
  • When the licence is issued, you'll need to apply for a ‘Commencement Notice' with a building certifier before you can start building.
  • The work can only start once the certifier has issued the Commencement Notice.

For more state government info – click here.

Find your local Council – click here.