Owner Builder VIC
Hello Owner Builder in Victoria!
We get it.
Having to do an Owner Builder course AND Construction Induction training are two big things you must tick off your long list of ‘to-dos'.
In Victoria, the rules for owner builders are slightly different compared to other states when it comes to doing an Owner Builder course.
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) has an e-learning assessment that you MUST complete. The assessment is based on information provided by the VBA in their Owner Builder Study Guide.
You have to complete this assessment before you can apply for an Owner Builder Certificate of Consent.
Then there's the Construction Induction training (also known as a White Card).
This covers off safety on a work site AND you need it to support your application for a Certificate of Consent from the VBA. The VBA have a recommended list of providers however we've confirmed the VBA will accept Absolute Education's nationally recognised online course.
So let's summarise what you need to do:
- Complete the mandatory VBA owner builder training course – click here.
- Complete your Construction Induction training (White Card) – click here.
It doesn't matter which course you do first, as long as you've completed both prior to applying for your Certificate of Consent from the VBA.
A little extra…
If you're right at the start of the process, an excellent starting point is always with your local Council (see link below) because you need to know local Council approvals e.g. Development Application, Planning Approval.
Here's a summary of the process you'll follow once you've spoken to Council and design plans are underway:
- Once you complete the VBA eLearning Assessment (and Construction Induction), you're ready to apply for the owner builder Certificate of Consent from the VBA via their application process (link below).
- When you have the Certificate of Consent, it's time to apply for a Building Permit.
- The permit can be either through a Building Surveyor or local Council. Just check if you need a Planning Permit before applying.
- Once the permit is in place, you're ready to build!
Follow this link to the VBA for more information – click here.
Follow this link to find your local Council – click here.