As an Owner Builder, you're required to get two different permits before you commence building:
1) Owner Builder Permit – issued by the state government
2) A Building Permit – issued by your local Council
This section covers the process to obtain an Owner Builder Permit.
The process and required documentation differs by state however the actual application process is fairly straight forward and can usually be done online.
Here’s a general idea of what you’ll need to get an OB permit:
- Proof of a completed Owner Builder course (differs by state);
- A White Card;
- Final building plans as submitted to Council for the Development Application (DA);
- Estimated cost of building and labour;
- Certified copy of title search (proof of ownership);
- Proof of identity (Medicare, passport, driver licence);
- Application fee.
Once you're issued with an Owner Building Permit, you're ready to get a Building Permit from your local Council.
To learn more about OB Permit, head to the ‘Where to Get Information’ section and select the link for your state. SIMPLE!