The Building Process
Are you sick of hearing our mantra knowledge is power? We’re sorry. No. Not sorry.
Because it’s our job to ensure you’re really well informed in all areas of being an Owner Builder.
Here's some exciting news.
Because we have a laser like focus on simplifying the build process for Owner Builders, we're working behind the scenes to do just that. What we'll be serving up soon is going to help Owner Builder's in a BIG way.
But until then (only weeks away) here's a high level overview of the process.
Now, we've not covered the work done in the pre-lim stage, think final plans, Council, finance, Owner Builder insurance, Owner Builder course, White Card, surveyor, Owner Builder Permit, Building Permit. Phew.
The below is the actual ‘build' part of the process.
STAGE ONE: The foundations
- Prepare the site – clear, demolish, set out (surveyor), excavate
- Underground sewer, drainage, electrical systems
- Footings (Inspection after poured)
- Termite protection
- Slab (Inspection after poured)
STAGE TWO: The frame
- Floors and walls (pre-order timber well in advance)
- Roof frame/trusses (pre-order well in advance) – when frame is complete, Inspection required
STAGE THREE: The lock-up
- Windows, door, garage door
- Fascia and gutters
- Roof and insulation
- Cladding and eaves
STAGE FOUR: The internal fit-out
- Electrical, water and gas roughing in wall cavities (certification required)
- Roof and surface drainage
- Internal lining – walls, ceiling, cornices
- Internal doors, architraves, skirtings, stairs (if any)
- Waterproofing – wet areas (Inspection only mandatory in some states)
- Tiling (bathroom and laundries)
- Kitchen fit-out with benchtops (preordered in advance)
- Bathroom and laundry fit-out (including tapware)
- Floor coverings
- Shelving, storage and walk-in-robes
- Lighting, air-conditioning (if any)
- Door handles
- Curtains, blinds, awnings
- Electrical and plumbing fit-offs (light switch plates)
- All appliances
STAGE FIVE: The external fit-out
- Outdoor paving, fencing, landscaping (letterbox)
- defects list and fix
- final electrical and plumbing
- final sign-off by Surveyor/Certifier
Make sure you save this page to your favourites and check back for our big launch.
Or, we can keep you up-to-date via our monthly newsletter (we don't like email bombardment so we won't do it to you).
Simply email us at email@example.com and we'll add you to our list!
There are certain supplies that you need to order well in ADVANCE such as external windows and doors. Roof frame. Kitchen and appliances.
Be sure to understand the order timeframes and build into your plan.
Be prepared for hold-ups! It may rain, building supplies may not turn up and contractors may fall through. Factor in holiday periods like Christmas!
Have your ‘must-dos' to help you survive the rough patches!