Owner Builder NSW - Owner Builder Course in NSW
Home » Owner Builder NSW

Owner Builder NSW

Hello Owner Builder in NSW 🙂

Welcome to The Owner Builder Club – here to simplify the process for you.

But where to begin?

Is owner building even for you?

If you're at the very early stage, it's a good idea to really think through whether or not owner building is for you:

  • can you afford it?
  • do you need finance?
  • how does finance work for owner building?
  • do you have the time?
  • how about the skills?

If you need help answering these questions, CLICK HERE to find out more about our  short online course that by the end, will have you going confidently in the right direction for YOU.

Do you need an owner builder permit?

In NSW, if the value of the work is over $10,000 then yes, you need an owner builder permit.

How to get an owner builder permit?

  • engage a draftsperson/designer/architect to get plans to final
  • lodge a Development Application
  • engage a Building Surveyor/Certifier
  • do the required owner builder course and get a White Card (mandatory in NSW) – refer to the below
  • get your owner builder permit
  • get your building permit
  • give the start work notification
  • start nailing your build!

Where to do your owner builder course?

Great news for you here! The research has been done for you. We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and are super confident to recommend Absolute Education.


Simply click on ‘Get Started' below, complete a few basic details and either the lovely Gemma or Peter will complete the pieces of the puzzle for you.

NOTE: The OB Course cost is $185.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).

Let them know we sent you by entering the code, OBC, at Step 4 in the registration process 🙂


Due to changes in legislation made on the 19th July 2019  by WorkSafe WA in conjunction with Safework NSW means you're no longer eligible to complete your White Card course online (only possible in WA).

If you go with another provider, please make sure whoever you go with is NOT offering the course online. Seriously, it's illegal.


If you're at the start of the process, we highly recommend you contact your local Council planning office (see link below).

To find more state government info – click here.

To find your local Council – click here.