Owner Builder SA
Hello Owner Builder in South Australia!
Did you know the rules to become an Owner Builder in South Australia are different compared to other states?
In SA, it’s not compulsory to complete an Owner Builder course.
Say what? I know, we're kinda surprised as well.
As an Owner Builder, you are required by law to meet the same legislative requirements relating to building work as licensed builders.
And that's massive.
So you pretty much need to think and act like a builder even though you're not a builder.
Because of this (plus, we're big on knowledge), we think paying to do a short course to get an overview of the process is a pretty small investment considering you're about to make one of the biggest investments in your life.
Here's the thing.
We've done the research for you and critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia. We're super excited to partner with Absolute Education, a specialist in the industry.
Umm, they know it's not a requirement in SA but they still offer it to SA Owner Builder's. Hmm.
Anyway, here's what we like about Absolute Education and why we've partnered:
- they're known for their expertise in delivering solutions to the Australian Owner Builder and Construction industry for over 14 years (that's a big tick)
- they're super professional (another tick)
- they offer a White Card course (one-stop shop) and you need it to comply with Workcover regulation (that's a serious point)
- the OB course is super easy to access online and by correspondence (tick, tick)
- you can take as long as you need to complete the course (because life's busy)
- your certificate is emailed within 24 hours (love instant gratification)
- you get unlimited phone access (because sometimes we need to speak to a real person)
- they give away lots of FREE stuff (who doesn't love a gift with purchase)
- you get to sit a FREE practice exam (thank you)
- run by people who know the building game (that's called credibility)
- they're fully compliant with the regulatory board as an approved training organisation (again, credible)
- AND, the price is right! (phew)
SO WHAT NEXT?
If we've given you food for thought and you agree doing a course is a wise investment, here's what you need to know and do next:
- You must remember you need a White Card (Workcover regulation)
- But don't worry, you can select the White Card course when you register for your OB course (at Step 4 – cost is $55).
- To get started, click on ‘Register Now' (registration is free) in the box below to go straight to their registration page (it's a simple step-by-step process)
- Confirmation of your registration with your user name and password will be sent to you by text and email once registration is complete
- OB Course cost is $115.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!)
INTERESTED IN A BONUS?
Oh come on, who isn't!?
If you enter the ‘Offer Code' OBC at the bottom of Step 4 in the registration process (under Special Promotional Code), you'll automatically go into the draw to win a $200 Bunnings voucher.
Yep, if you win, there's your course cost back (and then some).
By entering the Offer Code OBC means you give us the okay to contact you (only if you win) via the email address you provide.
Note – Registrations completed in the month of May (across Australia) are eligible for the bonus draw.
So what are you waiting for?
Absolute Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 91521) who makes completing an Owner Builder course simple. All you need to do is click ‘Register Now' (it's free) create a username and password, login and start answering the questions! Best parts, you don't pay until you pass (you'll pass) and your certificate will be emailed to you upon completion (and once you've paid)!
A LITTE EXTRA…
In SA, the requirements to become an Owner Builder are quite different compared to other states.
We highly, highly recommend you first make contact with your local Council (refer link below) to find out everything you need to know!
We've put together the following summary however it's a guide only. Please do your own research.
- Pay the Construction Industry Training Levy (.25% of building work value) – can be paid through Council
- Obtain relevant ‘Consents' such as Development Consent, Building Rules Consent
- Get Development Approval through your local Council (have final plans)
- Notify your local Council ONE business day before commencement of work
To learn more, here's the SA Government Owner Builder info guide – click here. The document is dated 2010 however seems to still be current.