Hello Owner Builder in South Australia!
Do you know the rules to become an Owner Builder in South Australia are different compared to other states?
In SA, it’s not compulsory to complete an Owner Builder course or a White Card course.
SAY WHAT? We're kinda surprised but lucky you!
As an Owner Builder, you ARE required by law to meet the same legislative requirements relating to building work as licensed builders.
And that's massive.
So you pretty much need to think and act like a builder even though you're not a builder.
Because of this, we think paying to do a short course is a pretty small investment considering you're about to make one of the biggest investments in your life.
The best part? We've done the research for you.
We critiqued 12 owner builder course providers across Australia and have a stringent selection process, we partnered with Absolute Education, a specialist in the industry.
SO WHAT NEXT?
If you agree doing a course is a wise investment, here's what you need to do:
- Simply click on ‘Register Now' in the box below (registration is free) to go straight to Absolute's registration page.
- Confirmation of your registration with your user name and password will be sent to you by text and email once registration is complete.
- OB Course cost is $115.00 payable when you pass (psst, everyone passes!).
TO NUDGE YOU ALONG…
We run a quarterly draw where one lucky person wins a $250 Bunnings voucher.
All you need to do is use the code ‘OBC' at Step 4 in the registration process.
A BIT ABOUT THE SA GOVERNMENT:
The development assessment and approval system in South Australia is in the process of changing from being regulated under the Development Act 1993 to being regulated under the new Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016.
This may be complete in 2020 but until then, the current owner builder document per the link in our ‘Start Here‘ page remains current. Just note, the number on the last page is incorrect! They've advised it will be updated next year 🙂
Absolute Education is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 91521) who makes completing an Owner Builder course simple. All you need to do is click ‘Register Now' (it's free) create a username and password, login and start answering the questions! Best parts, you don't pay until you pass (you'll pass) and your certificate will be emailed to you upon completion (and once you've paid)!
A LITTE EXTRA…
In SA, the requirements to become an Owner Builder are quite different compared to other states.
We highly, highly recommend you first make contact with your local Council (refer link below) to find out everything you need to know!
We've put together the following summary however it's a guide only. Please do your own research.
- Pay the Construction Industry Training Levy (.25% of building work value) – can be paid through Council
- Obtain relevant ‘Consents' such as Development Consent, Building Rules Consent
- Get Development Approval through your local Council (have final plans)
- Notify your local Council ONE business day before commencement of work
To learn more, here's the SA Government Owner Builder info guide – click here. The document is dated 2010 however seems to still be current.